Thursday, June 11, 2009

quality


I think the most debated topic concerning wine must be the question of quality. So I will briefly try to give my opinion on the matter by putting forward my general mindset and the way I like to think about it. Then I want you to go and form your own opinion. However, remember that there is always a flip side to the coin. There is a place for every one in the sun. I believe that quality, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder…in our case, in the mouth, nose and senses of the taster. After all, drinking and tasting wine in a “full-on” experience of all senses combining. And that is the essence of my argument. That enjoying wine is not reserved for a French “oenologue” or a British wine critic. On the contrary – it is for the people. So to get to heart of the matter – quality – you have to remove the false stigma and pretence that comes with enjoying the sweet nectar of the grape. I always say that most important thing to ask a consumer is whether or not he/she enjoys the wine. If they do, then we have quality right there! Cos at the end of the day it is not the competitions of Paris, Brussels or London that decide which wine is the best. NO! It’s you the consumer. Your vote is most important. Quality more often than not is linked to the context in which the wine is consumed, with who and the pleasure it brings. To illustrate this point I can honestly say that I have often tasted the same wine but in different contexts – with friends, in competitions or even in its rawest from in the cellar. And very seldom have I attached the same “quality” to the exact same product. I think “quality” should be divided into different terms such as drinking-pleasure; value-for-money; terroir-expression; etc. And because we all search for something different in the same wine how is it possible or how can it be expected of us to have the same quality barometer? Therefore - You are your own “quality” and don’t allow anyone to tell you otherwise.

No comments: