Thursday, June 11, 2009

its own heartbeat


What is it about wine people often ask me. Well my philosophy has always been that to be able to appreciate the wine you have to understand where it comes from; who made it and for what reason. This is one of the reasons why I have spent my time travelling around to see the places where the wines are made. Where the grapes are grown; to see the orientation of the grapes towards the sun; the distance from the sea; the slope and inclination of the hills and mountains…They all carry an effect on the final product. The best way after all to understand each wine you taste is to see it place of birth. I find immense pleasure to stand in the vineyard with the winemaker while he explains the influences of his terroir while the sun is beating down on my back and the gentle breeze is blowing across my face. To see the pride he takes in his work. I believe that true winemakers are some of the more passionate people you will find on earth. Now add some hardship and triumph to the mix and you have yourself a bomb for passionate conversation, festivities and conviviality. I have been from the smallest and simplest producers to the most prestigious and expensive. I have been honoured to have been able to taste wine has been unmatched. To conclude - it is my passion to taste the wines. But it is not just about the wines. It’s understanding what goes into it; the place; the people; the winemaker and his family; their history. It all blends together and give every wine a personality of its own. Whether big or small, cheap or expensive - every wine has its own heartbeat.

No comments: