Friday, January 16, 2009

wide open spaces


I recently watched a very old movie. It just opened my eyes and made me realise once again what my life is all about. It opened some doors in my mind and cleared out some of the dust that has been collecting on some of my forgotten dreams and ambitions. Have you ever had the experience were a movie makes you “feel”. It opens a world inside of you that you might not have known about up until that point. I watch movies like that all the time. I fact, I search for them. I always feel enriched by movie like that. Especially when you can walk away with a cloud around your mind, wondering and pondering. You put yourself in the shoes or position of the leading man or lady. And your mind starts racing; pacing through the scenes and you imagine and speculate about what your own actions would have been.
The movie plays off in Africa – the Mother of all continents by the way. In fact, in North Africa – thus Egypt, the Sahara and the wide open spaces of the vastness that personifies Africa. Seeing the desert, the endless waves of sand and the sun beating down, it made my heart jump. I could imagine myself flying over the desert in one of those old open airplanes. With a leather helmet strapped around my head and those funny-looking goggles on my face. All to keep the bugs and other unidentified objects from flying up my nose. The sun backing on my face and the wind in my hair. That is where you experience a piece of eternity. Up there in the sky, it feels as if the sun is standing still and the clock has stopped. You are suspended between something and nothing with the forever-ness of the sand beneath you. Up there you gain new perspective. You see a different angle on life; on circumstances and challenges. You get a chance to forget the troubles that clog your mind; that cramps your style; or the worst – that steels your joy.
But that’s what I love about Africa. Its wide open spaces. I think of its deserts; its unspoiled coastlines, the thick and darkness of its jungle and forests; the dancing grasslands of its savannas as the wind gently blows out of the west; its mountaintops and its secluded beaches, hidden away, still to be discovered. It all holds a certain obscurity that draws me towards this mystifying place. But a place none the less where I dare to dream. A place where I feel free to dream. But not just to dream, also to go and discover.
I have a quote written in French on my wall that says:

“Il faut vivre ses rĂªves, pas les inventer”
(You should live your dreams and not invent them)

There is nothing like the feeling of perpetuity; time without end, eternity – call it what you like. I fear that people don’t spend enough time to stop and enjoy those moments. I fear that people don’t experience those moments at all.
Feel the wind brushing over your skin. Feel the sun on your face. Taste the spray of the salty sea. See the blinding reflection of the desert sand. Find the wide open spaces…and live.

No comments: