Tuesday, January 27, 2009

back to the future


Never has there been a more exciting time to be alive, a time of rousing wonder and heroic achievement. As they said in the film Back to the Future: 'Where we're going, we don't need roads.'
I have to share in Ronald Reagan’s sentiments, although I am sure when he made this statement back in the 80’s he had no clue what it was all about. I am sure there was a bit of unrest in him; excitement too – sure; but that unnerving unknown that stretches out in front of us. We have all been there. So I always say – know and understand the season(s) you find yourself in. It just makes it so much easier to overcome the mundane obstacles that await you. Those of us that love the melodramas of life refer to these as the so-called crossroads of your life. But I am sorry, cos if you think about it you face crossroads every day. Don’t you?
I find myself at the end of a season and I am about to go Back to the Future…Think about it for a while. Don’t just read it as if you understand it. Allow it to become reality to your understanding. Cos it can have many meanings. You need to put on a Smarties hat to get your head around it really. Different surrealistic thinking needed at the same time…cos its complex. The complexity of the statement is similar to the complexity of our mere existence. I stand at the end of a period of my life that has come and gone faster than I would ever have thought. None the less it’s true.
I look back with fondness and forward with excitement. They say you should never wish your way through or out of a season for the simple reason – you are suppose to learn something; your suppose to grow and mature. Think of the TV-game the Super Mario Brothers. Why did you have to go into the underground warps? At the time it made no sense what so ever…until you got out on the other side. Isn’t life the same? Some things never make sense at the beginning – only at the end. When the battle is won and the fight is over. In the heat of the battle or struggle it always seems as the worst ever. But afterwards you realize it was just another…another game, another battle, another struggle.
For me my season has been a mixed bag of endless summers, journeys to imaginary places, friendships with unheard-of personalities, only to mention a few. I think the past two years have flashed by so fast that it’s hard to grasp the impact of it all. But it has all been good; top draw; unforgettable. So where am I going? I haven’t figured that one out quite yet…but somewhere where the streets have no names; or even better – where we don’t need roads…

…back to the future.

No comments: