Sunday, September 14, 2008

i love my dog


as cat stevens sang so passionately...i love my dog. i have to chuckle and laugh. i have recently been accused of projecting my need to care and to give to my dogs. giving it some thought i acknowlegded to my accuser that that is indeed the absolute truth. how can i deny the relationship i have with my kids. and perhaps it is filling a void that was perhaps made for humans to fill. but dogs are not called mans best friend for nothing. i am not ashamed that i have given this top spot in my life to the two best companions i have had in my life. to get up in the morning with those deep brown eyes staring at you. watching you sleep. keeping watch. making sure the master is safe. is still ok. breathing. resting. they patrol the parameter. how can i ask for more. where will i find companions more loyal than them. they are obedient. they are loving. they dont talk back. they dont argue. they show their joy and excitement without hesitation when i return. they cuddle up next to me when it is cold. they run with me on the heat of day down the beach without complaining. they climb the mountains with me. they walk with me through the vineyards. they splash in the rivers with me. they lie next to me when i am tired. they are constantly under my feet. surrounding me. making sure i am ok. all the time. instinctively. caring. protecting. they ask no questions. they dont demand or expect anything in return other than the fact that i care for them the same way they do for me. something that comes naturally. from both sides. perhaps one day i will be ready for the human upgrade. but for now...i love my dog.

No comments: