Sunday, December 14, 2008

see you on the other side


How do you write a summary about a whole year that’s gone by? I don’t think you can. Well I am not really going to try either. But the end of a fantastic year has indeed arrived. An action packed year that never seemed to disappoint me. I feel extremely privileged to have been able to live 2008 in my own shoes. There are so many great memories, stories and happenings. You just have to page down on the BLOG to see a glimpse into my life over the last year. It has been a blast - in all facets of life…academic, social and spiritual. Someone must be smiling over me?
It was a year where I rediscovered a lot about myself. I got the chance to find a piece of myself that felt lost for a long time. I learnt once again my own strengths and weaknesses. I had sufficient time to reflect and discover what I want to see, do and find in my own future. I got the opportunity to live my dreams. I got an even better opportunity to dream new dreams and write a new bucket list (only because EVERYTHING on “to-do-list” has been crossed out). I travelled to places near and far. I experienced different cultures, I tasted some of the best cuisine, and I drank some of the world’s best wines. There was the further awakening of my passion for the art of wine and the dying down of other misguided distractions. I travelled across countries to see friends. I made new friends and built new relationships. Unfortunately I lost some friends during this year - friends whose words and impacts will echo through my life. I journeyed into unknowns and came out stronger and enriched.
I can not be otherwise BUT encouraged about the time that awaits me. I love living passionately although it is not always sunshine and roses…let’s be honest about that. You bump your head and/or take a wrong turn. You end up down the wrong alley and it has consequences. But it’s about your attitude and then which way you run after your mis-hap.
I guess as before, I love to look into the small and simple things in life, to make all of it less complicated. The rising or the setting of the sun, the noise outside my window, the wrinkles on the woman’s face that I cross in the street, the mysteries in every wine, and all the stories that life communicates to us in everyday life. But how much of it do we miss? I am afraid – too much! I have made it my purpose to stop, to reflect, to listen, to absorb, to taste and to put it in my bag to take it with me wherever the road leads me.
And where will that be I ask myself? I don’t know. And that’s great. I am glad that I don’t know what the future holds. I am certain that if we knew beforehand we will just screw it up cos our heads will get in the way, instead of following your own heart. I am glad that there lays a mystery ahead to unravel, a story to live and to write afterwards, a wine to drink and friend to meet, a life to live.
See you on the other side…

No comments: