Friday, August 12, 2011

redeem the time

“redeem the time for the days are few”... quite a profound statement if you think about it. it was made almost two thousand years ago. the man responsible for this quote at that stage was experiencing a lot of persecution for the message he was proclaiming across the world. i wonder some days what that must have been like. surely with the persecution there must have been physical attacks as well as mockery and slander. lately i have been experiencing a lot of internal persecution. this makes me wonder whether what i am experiencing is anything like that of the apostle paul. i wonder whether something pushed him to this point to make such a statement. redeem the time? this means “cash in the time” or “buy back the time”. what was happening that made him utter such a statement? he must have seen or heard something that was profound. i feel the sting of these words because lately i feel as if i am waiting precious time. i struggle to find meaning in a lot of things. it feels as if i can do so much more with my time....with my life. i question my purpose and my destiny. i challenge my daily existence and wonder what the hec this is all about. ever felt like that? sure you have...that time when very few things made sense. that place of striving. not knowing what you are striving for. no peace. no rest for your soul. not one of my favourite places to be. but it does happen every now and then. the best thing to do is to acknowledge the moment and push through it. that is currently my situation. therefore these words are a massive wake-up call and a challenge. yet at the same time it inspires me to knuckle down and find my peace and rest once more. the worst thing to do in such a situation is to slow down and lose momentum. then you get taken out and it is a downward spiral for there on. my advice to myself: forget about your own selfish ambitions and desires. humble yourself and serve others. this helps me to take the focus off “ME” and before you know it your life is back in focus and your peace and rest returns in the blink of an eye. therefore in these days...redeem the time. live a life with an outward focus and soon you will understand why paul spoke these words. sela.

No comments: